ABOUT NIGERIAN NATIONAL VOLUNTEER SERVICE
The Nigerian National Volunteer Service (NNVS) in the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation was set up to oversee the overall management and general administration of volunteering and diaspora matters in Nigeria as provided in the Act establishing the service.
The organization was established in 2002, on the premise that Nigeria has a vast reservoir of human capital, technical expertise and investment potentials which, if properly mobilized, could fast-track developmental process, especially in rural communities. Government's initiative in setting up the NNVS is also supported by the desire of Nigerians abroad to be involved in national development and the evidence that similar policy had worked successfully elsewhere.NNVS has the responsibility to coordinate volunteering processes as tool to fight poverty in Nigeria, reduce anti-development factors, break down barriers and prejudices of tribe, religion and political affiliations that hinder national unity and socio-economic well being of the people.
To build a Nigeria where volunteerism is accepted as a way of life and the abundant human and material resources at home and abroad are harnessed towards national development.
To promote the culture of volunteerism and mobilize Diaspora Nigerians for community and national socio-economic development.
To create a conducive environment for volunteerism to thrive and build constructive relationship with Diaspora Nigerians to facilitate their contribution to national development.
Organize, regulate pro-active efficient and responsive diaspora matters and volunteerism system for improvement of standards of living, quality of life of the citizens, and bring about speedy social, economic and cultural development of Nigeria.
- To inculcate a culture of volunteerism among Nigerians.
- To use volunteerism as a vehicle for meeting socio-economic needs in Nigeria.
- To identify and clarify roles and responsibilities of volunteers and volunteer organizations.
- To define lines of communication and accountability among stakeholders.
- To provide establish standards for the operation and practice of volunteers.
- To provide and disseminate information on volunteerism.
- To mobilize resources towards achieving goals and objectives of volunteerism.